Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Last Night's Dinner: Kale and White Bean Bruschetta



Quail Hill always seems to have an abundance of kale, a vegetable I've come to rely on for quick dinners. Last night, after a week of cooking with other vegetables from the farm, I had one lonely bag of kale left. I made a quick bruschetta topping by combining it with some white beans. It was so good, I'm not sure why I waited. I guess I was saving the best for last. Here's the recipe:

Bruschetta with Kale and White Beans
Serves 2 as a main course, 4 as an appetizer

2 tablespoons olive oil plus more for drizzling
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
3/4 cup low-sodium canned chicken broth
1 bunch kale, tough stems removed, chopped
One 14-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
Salt
8 slices country bread

1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in kale and 1/4 cup chicken broth, cover, and cook until kale is tender, stirring once or twice, 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Add beans and remainig broth to pan, stir, and mash beans with a potato masher. Cook, stirring often, until most of the broth has evaporated. Season with salt if necessary.
3. Grill or toast the bread slices, pile with the kale mixture, drizzle with olive oil, and serve
S

No comments:

Post a Comment