Monday, June 6, 2011

I Buy Sriracha


For months, if not years, I have been reading in various food magazines and newspaper food sections about Huy Fong Foods' Sriracha, a fiery Thai-style hot sauce that has become the darling of chefs across the country. Although Chili Garlic Sauce made by the same company is available at every East End supermarket and specialty foods store, the raved-about Sriracha was elusive. Then late last week I spotted a few bottles of it at Citarella's in Bridgehampton and finely brought some home. I decided to combine it with my last pound of Fairview Farm ground pork to make some spicy grilled burgers. For good measure, I mixed some sriracha with ketchup to use as a condiment. Pea shoots just harvested from Quail Hill took the place of lettuce on my burgers. I enjoyed every bite. Here is the recipe:

Sriracha Pork Burgers
Serves 4

1 pound ground pork
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sriracha
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
4 hamburger buns
1/4 cup ketchup

1. Preheat grill to high. Combine the pork, soy sauce, 1 tablespoon sriracha, and garlic in a bowl and blend with your hands. Shape into 4 patties.
2. Whisk together remaining 1 tablespoon sriracha and ketchup and set aside.
3. Clean and oil grill grids and turn heat down to medium-high. Grill burgers, turning once, until just cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes total. Transfer to buns. Top with ketchup and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment