Saturday, June 4, 2011

Farm Market Breakfast



Awhile ago I was reading a very interesting story by British foraging expert Nick Weston about how he extracts salt from ocean water for cooking. I considered running down to Sagg Main, collecting some water, and boiling it down until I had some Sag Harbor sea salt. But then I came to my senses, realizing how much work it would take and how little salt I would wind up with. Still, we live so close to the ocean. Shouldn't someone be harvesting local sea salt for our dining pleasure? When I arrived at the Sag Harbor Farmer's Market this morning I was understandably thrilled to meet Natalie Judelson, who, with her husband Steven, has stepped up to fill this need. She is now selling Amagansett Sea Salt from filtered and solar evaporated local ocean water. It has the soft, crumbly texture of the finest fleur de sel or sel gris. I bought a small jar that Natalie had seasoned with lemon zest. Then I bought a cranberry-walnut bread from The Blue Duck, took my purchases home, sliced the bread, spread it with butter, and sprinkled it with some lemony Amangansett sea salt for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment