Friday, July 2, 2010

I Should Have Bought the Butter...






Although our trip to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter a few weeks ago was a dream come true for the children, it did cause me to miss my friend Angela Miller's book signing and tasting at Lucy's Whey. I am still a bit bitter, imagining everyone who was enjoying her acclaimed Consider Bardwell Farm cheeses and having her inscribe their copies of her inspiring memoir, Hay Fever, in Lucy's delightful shop while I waited on line to purchase Hufflepuff t-shirts and Dark Mark lollipops, wondering if I was nauseous because of the Hogwarts roller coaster ride, the 95-degree temperature, or the butterbeer I drank with my breakfast at the Three Broomsticks restaurant. So when I heard that Allison Hooper of the Vermont Butter and Cheese Creamery was going to be at Lucy's Whey, handing out samples of her goat and cow milk cheeses yesterday I was not going to miss her, especially since I had just read about her new Cremont goat and cow's milk cheese in the New York Times on Wednesday, and I am the pubicists's dream, a reader who will immediately run out and buy whatever the paper recommends, as long as it is available within a 10-mile radius of my house. I wasn't disappointed--the cheese was exquisite. I bought an Amagansett baguette and a round of the Cremont for dinner. One regret--I passed on the creamery butter, crunchy with sea salt. What was I thinking? But I don't feel too sad. Unlike the on-sale cashmere sweaters that I resisted yesterday at j.crew and will surely be gone by today, fine American-made butter and cheeses are re-stocked as necessary at Lucy's. How lucky that this place is close to home.

No comments:

Post a Comment