Saturday, July 3, 2010

Corn Muffins, Part 1



Yesterday I bought the best raspberries I've ever tasted at Pike's on Sagg Main Street in Sagoponack. This morning I mixed what was left of them into my corn muffin batter (I also bought some local corn, which I'm going to use in some more corn muffins for dinner tonight--recipe to follow). I like my corn muffins as crumbly and crunchy and corny as possible, so I use half flour and half yellow corn meal (preferably stone-ground; Provisions usually has it). If you like your muffins more cakey, use 1 1/3 cups of flour and 2/3 cups cornmeal instead. Here is the recipe:

Raspberry Corn Muffins
Makes 12 muffins

1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
1 cup raspberries

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray. Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
2. Whisk together the sugar, egg, and egg yolk in a large bowl. Whisk in the melted butter until emulsified, about 1 minute. Whisk in the sour cream and milk until smooth.
3. Stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture until just combined. Gently stir in the raspberries, taking care not to crush them.
4. Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Bake until golden brown and well-risen, 15 to 17 minutes. Let the muffins cool in the tin on top of a wire rack for 5 minutes, then remove them from the tin and let them cool on the rack for at least 10 minutes or let cool to room temperature before eating.

1 comment: