Thursday, June 3, 2010

Tonight's Dinner: Rhubarb and Onion Jam on Toast





I haven't been cooking an awful lot this week, because the hours that I usually devote to shopping and preparing dinner have been occupied with driving the children to various rehearsals and end-of-the-school-year performances. I was determined to feed myself something homemade and delicious before spending a large portion of the night reading page proofs (here's a peek at my new book--isn't it cute?) while waiting for my daughter's practice to end. So I bought my family's favorite sourdough bread, a giant pane di casa from Citarella's, and used the rhubarb from the weekend to make a sweet-and-savory spread. I had some high-quality English Cheddar (a gift from a considerate friend--thank you!) in the refrigerator, which I sliced thin and placed on top of my toasted bread before spreading on some jam. After several days of leftovers, I felt satisfied and redeemed and ready to work while sitting in the lobby of the soon-to-be-shuttered Avram Theater at Stony Brook-Southampton.

Rhubarb is at its peak right now, and can be purchased at the Quail Hill stand at the Farmer's Market on Saturday. Here is my jam recipe:


Rhubarb and Onion Jam
Makes about 2 cups

It just occurs to my while I taste this jam that it would be a very good garnish for some burgers made with my Fairview Farm (69 Horsemill Lane, Bridgehampton) pork. Maybe this weekend...

One tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
4 cups chopped rhubarb
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon Balsamic vinegar
Salt
1/2 teapsoon chopped fresh thyme leaves

1. Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until golden, about 15 minutes. Add the rhubarb, sugar, water, and vinegar and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is evaporated and the rhubarb is very soft and jam-like, another 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt, stir in the thyme, and let cool to room temperature. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 3 days before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment