Saturday, March 6, 2010

Trip to the Library Inspires Breakfast



After last week's sweet polenta, I committed myself to making a fun and unusual breakfast for myself every Saturday morning. Dropping off some books yesterday at John Jermain Library, I spotted this food-themed mystery on the Large Print shelf. I didn't check it out, but I did begin to crave some warm, fluffy scones. When I woke up this morning, I thought of trying out the Australian style, but since I was all out of 7-Up and Sag Harbor Beverage (89 Division Street, 725-7308) doesn't open until 10, I went back to an old recipe of my own. It yields a small batch, which prevented me from over-indulging (for me, that meant eating no more than four before everyone else got out of bed). This was a nice way to start an exciting weekend. My plans include buying some liquid starch and a doily at the Variety Store for a little project I have in mind. Not another word until I see how it turns out.

Lemon Cream Scones
Makes 4

Cake flour (available at the IGA), will make these scones very tender, but they will still be delicious if you substitute all-purpose flour.

1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cake flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Turbinado sugar (Sugar-in-the-Raw) for sprinkling

1. Preheat the oven to 450. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Whisk together the all-purpose flour, cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the egg, 1/2 cup heavy cream, lemon zest, and vanilla until the flour is moistened.
3. Turn the dough out onto the counter top and knead just until it comes together (it will still be shaggy and raggedy). Shape it into a 6-inch disk. Use a sharp chef's knife or bench scraper to cut the disk into 4 wedges.
4. Place the wedges on the baking sheet. Brush each one with a little cream and sprinkle with Turbinado sugar. Bake until golden and well-risen, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly and serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment