Wednesday, March 17, 2010

IGA Item of the Week


I bought my corned beef yesterday at Schiavoni's, where they had several choices. My husband likes the point cut because it has more fat; I like the flat cut because it has less fat. Since I was doing the shopping, you know what we'll be eating tonight. (Just updated to include a photo of my complete dinner!) Here is how I'm going to cook it:

Corned Beef
Serves 6

Since I don't love vegetables boiled in greasy meat broth, I'm going to brush wedges of cabbage and lengths of carrots with olive oil, sprinkle them with salt, and roast them in a 400 degree oven until they're tender, to serve on the side.

1 corned beef brisket, 4 to 5 pounds
3 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
1 yellow onion
2 whole cloves
1 teaspoon fennel seeds

1. Trim the corned beef of visible fat, rinse thoroughly under cold water, and pat dry. Cut small slits in the meat with a sharp paring knife and insert a garlic sliver into each slit.
2. Place the corned beef in a large pot or Dutch oven. Cover by 1 inch with cold water and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 to 7 minutes, skimming off the gray foam that forms on the surface.
3. Stick the yellow onion with the cloves and add it to the pot along with the fennel seeds. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the meat feels tender when the thickest part is pierced with a skewer, 2 to 3 hours.
4. Transfer the meat to a cutting board, cover with foil, and let stand 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment