Saturday, March 13, 2010

IGA Item of the Week



Earlier in the week, someone asked me for a simple cucumber and yogurt recipe, to serve alongside grilled salmon. I've made this kind of thing in the past, and it's always gotten soggy pretty quickly. So I took care to seed the cucumbers. I didn't add any salt until 7:15, my younger daughter's estimated arrival home from SCMEA band practice in Port Jefferson. As it turned out, however, her bus was almost an hour late. I was afraid the salad would be weeping (I know I almost was, since I'm not used to eating that late) by the time she sat down to dinner, but it was beautifully creamy with no separation. I give credit to the thick and delicious Greek yogurt I bought at the IGA. Here is the recipe:


Cucumber and Yogurt Salad
Serves 4

We ate this last night with salmon fillets from The Seafood Shop in Wainscott, but it would be just as good with loin lamb chops from the IGA.

2 cucumbers, peeled, halved, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 small garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tablespoon or more finely chopped fresh dill
Salt
Ground black pepper

Combine the cucumbers, yogurt, garlic, and dill in a bowl and toss to coat. Refrigerate for up to 3 hours and (just to be on the safe side) season with salt and pepper just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment