Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Doily Source Discovered in Sag Harbor





Just as I was about to give up on finding a crocheted doily for my project, I passed by Carol O'Neill Linens (114 Division Street) on Sunday afternoon. I pushed open the creaky door, walked up a narrow staircase, and turned right, into a room filled with antique lace, embroidered pillowcases, and an abundance of crocheted doilies, all reasonably priced. I took the doily at the top of the pile, soaked it in liquid starch I had bought at the Variety Store (45 Main Street; 725-9706), and set it over a plastic wrap-covered bowl. (Can I just say, where else on this earth can you find liquid starch, just sitting on a shelf? I wonder how long it's been since someone before me bought a bottle? And yet, you know they will re-order when the last bottle is gone.) A day later the starch had dried and I had my delicate lace bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment