Tuesday, February 2, 2010

My Burlap Problem, Solved



I bought a half-yard of burlap at the Variety Store a while ago, since it was cheap ($4.99 a yard) and I thought I could whip up something clever with it. But it languished in a bag on my countertop while all of the projects I considered seemed to be either beyond my limited abilities or just too ugly to go ahead with. But then I saw this pretty packaging today, looked over at the empty Sarabeth's jam jars I'd been saving, and decided to use my burlap and the jars to pack some candy I was making for Valentine's Day. Here is the recipe:

Valentine's Day Chocolate Bark

Makes about 1 pound

This recipe should make enough for 3 jars' worth of candy.

8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 cup "Cupid's Mix" peanut M&Ms, coarsely chopped

1. Line the bottom and sides of an 8-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil.
2. Place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high until most (but not all) of the chocolate is soft and melty, about 1 1/2 minutes, mixing it every 30 seconds to make sure it's not overheating in spots.
3. Use a small metal spatula to spread the chocolate in an even layer across the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle with the M&M pieces. Let stand until solid, about 45 minutes. Break into pieces before packing in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment