Saturday, October 3, 2009

Last Night's Dinner



Every time I saw the rows of rainbow chard at Quail Hill, I paused to admire their brilliance. But I can't say I had an equally brilliant way to prepare leafy greens. Then I found one in Italian Two Easy earlier in the summer. Rose Gray and Ruth Rogers use cavolo nero, but I've used kale, spinach, and chard with equally good results. Here's the loosely adapted recipe:

Swiss Chard with Garlic and Fennel
Serves 4

1 1/2 pounds Swiss chard
2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
Salt

1. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Strip the leaves away from the center stems of the chard and discard stems. Boil the chard leaves until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and coarsely chop.
2. Heat the olive oil, garlic, fennel, and pepper flakes over medium-high heat until the garlic just begins to color, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the chard and cook, stirring, to heat it through. Season with salt and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment