Saturday, September 5, 2009

Tomatoes on Toast




I was concerned when I read in the Express this week about the tomato blight plaguing local farmers and gardeners. My new Michael Graves for Target toaster had just arrived, I had a piece of yesterday's baguette, and I had big plans to make a tomato sandwich. So I was overjoyed when I saw these huge and unblemished yellow and red tomatoes at a tiny stand on Ocean Road in Bridgehampton.

Ocean Road Tomato Sandwich
Serves 1

Many people will tell you that you have to use soft, fresh, untoasted white bread slices for a real tomato sandwich, but I like to toast the bread so it is better able to absorb the juices from the tomato. Don't skimp on the mayonnaise here, which makes this sandwich an end of summer luxury.

One 6-inch length of day-old baguette, split and lightly toasted
1 to 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
One medium-size ripe tomato, cored and sliced
Sea salt
Ground black pepper

Spread some mayonnaise on the cut side of each baguette half. Place the tomatoes on the bottom half, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and top with the remaining baguette half. Enjoy with plenty of paper napkins and a chilled glass of Channing Daughters Mudd Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc.

No comments:

Post a Comment