Tuesday, September 15, 2009

IGA Item of the Week





Melons mixed with pumpkins at Quail Hill are a sure sign that summer's coming to an end. To preserve a little something from the farm, I picked a small bunch of herbs, dried them in the oven, and stirred them together with La Baleine sea salt from the IGA. (I couldn't have resisted the packaging, even if this salt hadn't been half the price of the Camargue fleur de sel sitting next to it on the shelf.) I'll keep the bowl on my table to season my Fall dishes with a little summer flavor. Here's the recipe:

Sea Salt with Herbs
Makes 1 cup

1/2 cup fine sea salt such as La Baleine
1 cup loosely packed herbs (I used marjoram, thyme, and oregano--small leaves work best)

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Place the herbs on a baking sheet and bake until they're dried but haven't lost their green color, 10 to 15 minutes. Let them cool, remove them from their stems, break them up if necessary, and stir them together with the salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment